Monday, March 14, 2011

Snowing on Spring Break

I remember when I was young and had better knees going snow skiing for spring break. I would gather my youth group, my wife, and any willing participants from our church and we would head to Purgatory (always an interesting location for a Baptist church group to visit). I probably fell more than I skied, but it was always great fun and a wonderful time to build relationships and enjoy the beautiful Colorado Rocky Mountains.

Time went by, muscles grew older, and I haven't been skiing in awhile. I still enjoy spring break, if for no other reason than the word spring. For some reason, cold weather just doesn't appeal to me so much anymore, and anything with the word “spring” indicates there will be warmer weather.

So today, the first day of my daughter's spring break – it snowed. At least it doesn't appear to be accumulating – I draw the line at shoveling my driveway on any day named “spring,” even if it is just a date on the school calendar.

Still, the snow reminds me of the unpredictability of this world. We may have snow one day and drought the next. The instability around me only serves to contrast with the stability of Christ. He is “the same yesterday, and today, and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). His love and grace will be greater still long after this world has ceased to be. That's worth celebrating – snow or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment