Monday, June 24, 2013

Follow Through

I have never been an athlete. It's not for lack of trying. I've had several coaches through the years who have done their best. They just didn't have much material to work with.

I still remember much of their instruction. One that was repeated over and over was to remember the "follow through." Whether it was golf, baseball, tennis, even the one week I tried out for the chess team, follow through was always important. "Follow through" is whatever you do after whatever you are supposed to do in the sport. What you do after you hit the ball, swing the club, or move your rook is apparently very significant. I had a golf coach who told me that "a poor follow through leads to a poor shot every time." I must have been afflicted with a lot of poor follow through.

Follow through is not only significant in sports, but in life as well. It is especially important in ministry. We've had a great start to summer: a wonderful VBS, exciting mission trip, and super mission VBS. The work is not done, though. I'm grateful for a church that understands the importance of follow through. When we asked for volunteers to visit VBS families, all of our outreach bags were gone within a half hour! That's exciting!

Paul talked about the importance of follow through, interestingly using a sports analogy.

1 Corinthians 9:24 (NIV)
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

I thank God for a church that is running a great race. Don't forget the follow through!




No comments:

Post a Comment