Monday, April 27, 2009

Happy to have dirty fingernails

I have a confession.

There's dirt under my fingernails.

And under my toenails. And in my ears....

Yes, I've had a shower today. But I can't seem to scrub enough to get rid of all of the dirt. That's because I spent most of the day hoeing, and raking, and planting at the church garden. It was hard work. It was also one of the best Saturdays I've had in a long time.

There is something invigorating about digging in the soil. There is something wonderful and exciting about planting tiny seeds knowing that they will soon be big, green plants laden with yummy crops (fingers crossed). And there is something sweet about working alongside members of our church family.

In fact, that's my favorite part of the church garden. I love getting to know folks that I don't normally run into in service or Sunday school. We talk about vegetables. We talk about the weather. We talk about ministry. And we look forward to a shared harvest. It's what community gardens are all about.

If you're looking for a way to get plugged in at NHBC, we'd love to have you work alongside us. You'll get all the fresh veggies you can pick and we'll get the pleasure of getting to know you better. That is, if you don't mind a little dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment