Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sonship



"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children." Romans 8:15-16 (NIV)


Sonship--I've experienced this as a son, but never as a father.  So, this verse takes on a whole different meaning now.  
   Whatever happens in life, I don't ever want Meyer to be afraid to come to me.  Right now, it's hard trying to figure out what it is that he needs or wants, and I have to try my best to meet his needs.  But one thing that I'm noticing is that he's beginning to know who I am.  When I pick him up and say "Hey, little man, Daddy's here."  He seems to recognize my voice and calm down.  He's learning that his daddy is going to try his best to meet his needs.  And, just being near to me, he's learning what it means to be my child.  He's learning that he no longer has to be afraid of this strange and scary world when I pick him up.  Comfort is coming.  
   It's the same with your heavenly Father.  You don't have to be afraid of Him or of this strange and scary world.  But none of this is possible without the sweet moments of just spending time together.  The more time Meyer spends with me, the more he learns that I will try to bring comfort because he is my son and I am his father.  With you and your heavenly Father, the more you spend time with Him, the more His Spirit will testify with your spirit that you are His child, and comfort is coming.  

Oh my loving Father, thank You for making me Your child. Help me to know You, love You and live for You. I need You to guide my life. AMEN 

No comments:

Post a Comment