Monday, March 16, 2009

One of my favorite places to visit growing up was my grandma’s house. We happened to live right next door and so I was a frequent visitor. I never doubted at any time that I would not be welcome in that home. It didn’t matter what she was doing when I came to visit, she would stop and spend time with me. We had many a lengthy visit on her back porch as we both sat in the swing and sipped on a drink. On more than one occasion I would pour out my woes and confessions to her. She always made me feel important and safe and would never condemn me. It was a blessing and comfort during my growing up years to know that not only did my home provide a safe place to land, but so did my grandparent’s house. Even though she passed away in Sept. 2007 and the visits with her have ceased, it’s so vivid in my memories that I can still smell the aroma from her kitchen and hear her voice inviting me in when I knock on her back door. I’m very thankful for the time she spent with me and have been fortunate to see my own parents spend time with my children and pass on the special bond that only a grandparent can give to a grandchild. As an adult while attending a parenting class at church I heard the speaker say that “parents are the law-givers in a child’s life and grandparents are the grace-givers.” This kind of grace is a rare & precious thing among people and yet we have always had it offered to us by a loving God. The Bible says in Ephesians 2:4-5, “But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved.”

No comments:

Post a Comment