Monday, March 9, 2009

Where's My Hour?

Daylight-saving time started Sunday. Ugh! I’ve heard that Benjamin Franklin had a hand in establishing that event. He must have gotten a little more jolt from that kite-key-lightning experience than was realized. Why else would any sane person pass a law to lose an hour of sleep? The truth is, we don’t lose an hour. The earth rotated in the same twenty-four hours Sunday that it did every day last week. Actually, according to the helpful people at WikiAnswers.com, the earth completes one rotation every 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4.091 seconds, which means every year we lose roughly a day, rotation-wise. If that’s right, I’m short 1152 hours (quick - grab the calculator to find out how old this geezer is).

The truth is, measuring how much time we have is not nearly as important as how we use the time we have. That’s why the scripture encourages us: Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil (Ephesians 5:15-16 NIV). I don’t know how many days God will give me, but I do know I will only have this day once. I better make it count. The best way I can spend my time is to give glory to the One who created the days (and evenings, and mornings). So let’s get to it, or, as John Wayne told the Cowboys, "we’re burnin’ daylight."

No comments:

Post a Comment