Thursday, September 3, 2009

Football!

I love football. I always wanted to play, but never had quite the size required to be on an organized team. Still, whenever I could get a neighborhood game together, I played. I even tried to play when I couldn’t find anyone else. I went out in the backyard and attempted to be the quarterback, fullback, wide receiver, field goal kicker, and coach. Basically, I threw the ball in the air, caught it, and ran. I made lots of touchdowns, but somehow the game just wasn’t the same. It’s much better when you have an actual team.
Paul said the same thing about the church. Every member of the team is important. Using the imagery of the body, he describes the importance of every member working together in Christ:

Ephesians 4:16
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Your part is important in the kingdom of God. Without you, the team just isn’t the same. Get off the bench and into the game!

1 comment:

  1. Vaughn, Is it okay with you if I use your last paragrahp as a slide in the loop for this coming Sunday? I'll use Eph. 4:16 as the next slide so that they go together. Hopefully it will be a reminder to everyone to get off the bench.
    Thanks, Autumn

    ReplyDelete