Monday, April 28, 2014

The Image of God

 “Oh, he looks just like his daddy.”

I hear some form of this statement on a regular basis concerning my son, Meyer.  I arguably think that he looks a lot like his mother; he has her eyes and some of his facial expressions are distinctly hers. But, I do have to admit the strong father/son resemblance between myself and Meyer.  And, I must confess, it warms my heart!

Resemblance is such a funny thing.  Have you ever noticed how at times siblings look just alike and then at other times, it seems that their features couldn’t be more different. 

The Bible tells us that we have been made in God’s image.  In Genesis 1:27, it says, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” (ESV)

Have you ever stopped to think about that: you are made in the image of God.  What exactly does that mean, anyway?  Of course, I know that there are many theological explanations of what this verse is talking about. But, at the risk of over-simplifying the concept, it just means that we look like Him.  Whether that is physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, or something else altogether…, well, that’s not the point I’m trying to make. 

Suffice it to say, there’s a resemblance.  Sometimes, we can deny and resist that image, but it’s there, nonetheless. 

When I look at my son, I can see a little of myself in him.  And, it brings me great joy to see a part of me reflected in him.  What joy it must bring our Heavenly Father when He can see His own likeness being mirrored in us.  And, since we are made in His image, we bring Him the most glory when we reflect His character—when our image is that of goodness, love, and holiness.  But, sometimes, our ability to do this is hindered by sin. 

It is our original purpose to shine forth God’s image to creation, so let me encourage you to not deny or resist that image by choosing to do things that you know are not a reflection of Him.  Be who you were created to be—the very image of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment